May 28, 2011 at 09:35 AM
Medifast is a great program, but expensive. And even with about 60-70 choices, there are several I don't like, and I get very bored with the food. I've done some hunting on alternatives that will also work as part of the program .
Here's what I've come up with:
1. Shakes - Jullian Michaels Triple Chocolate Protein powder www.pureprotein.net This is sold at Walmart and Sam's Club-$18.99 for 36 servings. This has 15 grams protein, 6 grams carbs, and no sugar. It tastes fine, about the same as the MF chocolate shakes and it has the benefit of more protein. I also think it's whey based, which is great for me because Medifast is almost all soy and I have tofu almost every night for dinner, so I'm sure I'm overdoing it with the soy products! The cost is .55 a serving.
2. Spiru-tein shakes - www.spiru-tein.com These are exactly the same as the Medifast shakes. Exactly. Same vitamins, same calories, same protein. They are exact. And they have 20 delicious sounding flavors. The down side is that it's more expensive than the Jullian Michaels protein shake. I found them at Lucky Vitamin for $15.26, and they have 15 servings per can, so they are about $1.00 per serving- Still much better than the $2.25 a serving that MF charges!
3. Atkins Protein Bars - www.atkins.com I've been having one of these every day to replace a MF meal because they are so good! They blow Medifast away in terms of taste and satisfaction! But not all the bars, just the Wake Up collection of bars with 150 calories or less and 10 grams of protein. Atkins does a great job of keeping the carb count very low- lower than MF as a matter of fact. I love the Peanut Butter Fudge Crisp bar, and last night at publix I found all the other flavors, so I bought them to try. They come in at around $5.99 for a 5 pack, so that's about $1.20 a serving compared to Medifast's $2.32 a serving. WARNING- I FOUND THAT AFTER I STARTED EATING THESE MY WEIGHT LOSS STALLED FOR WEEKS (HOW CAN WEIGHT LOSS STALL WHEN LIVING ON 1000 CALORIES OR LESS?). EARLIER THIS YEAR MY BOYFRIEND STARTED EATING THEM AS A SNACK ALONG WITH HIS REGULAR RESTRICTED CARB AND CALORIE DIET AND FOR A WEEK HIS WEIGHT LOSS STALLED. WHEN HE STOPPED EATING THEM, HIS LOSS STARTED BACK UP AGAIN. I CAN NO LONGER RECOMMEND THESE, UNFORTUNATELY. IT MAY BE THE SUGAR ALCOHOL IN THE BARS. UPON FURTHER RESEARCH I FOUND THAT SOME PEOPLE INGEST THE SUGAR ALCOHOL THE SAME AS REGULAR SUGAR, IT JUST TAKES LONGER TO GET THROUGH THE BODY AND HAVE THE SAME EFFECT. I'M LEAVING THE ATKINS SECTION IN THIS ARTICLE AS A WARNING FOR OTHERS WHO MAY BE HAVING THESE BARS AND FIND THEIR WEIGHT LOSS STALLING. IT'S UNFORTUNATE BECAUSE THEY REALLY ARE TASTY, BUT THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG HERE.
Nutritional Information (Peanut Butter Fudge Crisp Bar)
Fat 7g/ saturated fat 4g/
Carbs 14g/net carbs 2g
4. Pure Protein bars -www.pureprotein.net These are sold at Walmart and other various places. For these they come in at about 200 calories for a bar and 20 grams of protein, so you have to cut them in half and use them as 2 meals. they are not as tasty as the Atkins bars, and are very chewy, but they are very cost effective at 6 bars for about $7, making it .58 a serving. They are available in 9 flavors now. I have only tried the chocolate Deluxe flavor.
(Remember that these need to be cut in half for a Medifast type meal)
Fat 5g /saturated fat 3g/ trans fat 0g
Also of note is that this bar contains 20% of most daily vitamons just like Medifast.
5. Dannon Greek Yogurt 6 oz cup, plain fat-free - www.dannon.com Craving something creamy? 80 calories and 15 grams protein and 6 carbs make this a fabulous alternative to a MF meal. Sprinkle it with cinnamon for something sweet, or add ranch seasonings and dip celery for something savory. Yum! At Walmart, these can be purchased for $1.00 each, making this a cost effective way to have a meal on plan.
Nutritional Information (1 tub)
6. Kay's Naturals protein snacks - www.kaysnaturals.com I just tried these for the first time a couple months ago, and Oh-My-Gosh! I am in LOVE with the Chili Nacho Cheese Protein chips! They taste like Doritos! Also tried and loved are the Lemon Herb Protein Chips, and Cinnamon Almond cookie bites. The Crispy Parmesean Protein Chips taste exactly like the Medifast Parmesean Cheese Puffs and the Jalapeno Honey Mustard Pretzel Sticks taste exactly like the Medifast Honey Mustard Pretzels. The cereals I find to be just OK, not fantastic. But I could have the Chili Nacho Protein chips 4 times a day- easily! I find it easier and cheaper to buy the 5 oz bags, and when I receive them, I get my little scale out and measure out 5 oz and put each oz into a zip lock bag so that I am sure that I am eating the correct portion for Medifast. They do come in little snack bags as well, but the bags are 1.5 oz, not the 1 oz size we Medifasters need. If you can stop yourself from eating the entire bag, than go for it. I can't because I love the too much!
Please note that they have just come out with new products (May 2011). It looks like they now have protein puffs, packaged in smaller bags with higher protein and "protons" which look like they are meant to be crutons for soup and salad toppings.
The cost on this product for the case of 12 5oz boxes of the Chili Nacho Protein Chips is $36.00 (with free shipping), which ends up as .60 per meal. Sweet!
.110 calories per 1-ounce serving
· 3.5 grams of fat · 0 saturated fat / 0 trans fats / 0 cholesterol
· 230mg sodium
· 14g carbohydrates
· 3g fiber
· 3g Sugar
· 9g lean soy protein
7. Pure Protein Gelatin Snacks
www.pureprotein.netI just found these online while looking up the exact nutritional content of the Pure Protein bars. I have not tried them, and I don't know the cost or where to get them, but they must be brand new. The nutritional content is impressive. 100 calories, 23 grams protein, 2 carbs, and 0 fat. WOW! These actually have less fat and carbs then Medifast and more than twice the protein. As they are not close to exact to the Medifast food, you'll have to decide if they are worth trying. In my opinion with the nutritional content, I think they would be a fantastic substitute. Nutritional content is below.
With any of these recommendations, I have to say that I am not a trained professional and use at your own risk. Because Medifast has 20% of the daily vitamins and minerals in each pack, making a total of 100% vitamins, I take a multi vitamin every day to be sure I'm getting all the vitamins and minerals needed.
8. EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control Shake - http://eas.com/ These shakes are tasty and come pre-packaged, so you can grab and go. I like to put them in the freezer, then remove 1/2 hour before eating for a ice cream like treat. The price is more expensive. They are about $6 for a 4 pack at Walmart, so they are $1.50 each.
Fat 3g/saturated fat 0g
I have found that these items are working for me and I'm losing weight just as quickly as I was when strictly on Medifast, and the added benefit is that I'm not as bored with the food and I'm saving myself some cash as well while still slimming down.
I think that everyone has to find their own way and create what it is that works for them while losing weight. Medifast does help one slim down without a doubt and they have come up with an amazing program. But once you've been on it for a year, you really start to understand that it's not magic, it's smart eating with low carbs and high protein. I really can't see any reason to order the shakes again now that I've found the 2 mentioned above. It would just be tossing my money out the window. Some of the other food I still will buy, like the brownies, pancakes, hot cocoa, and cheese puffs. They still offer some things that can't be gotten anywhere else. But having a couple meals a day that are not Medifast helps me stay on budget and still lose weight. It's important to be careful not to actually slide off plan and to check every label carefully and throughly- but that's what I do. I love comparison shopping, and I tend to be through in my assessments.
I'll add more alternatives to this list as I find them.
Last Updated ( Aug 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM )